What is the purpose of the group?
- To drive change towards more women’s accommodation (and women only accommodation).
What we mean by women only, is accommodation that is:
- Completely separate from male accommodation
- Small accommodation – a smaller building with fewer rooms
- Properly staffed and trauma informed
- To improve homeless services for women in Manchester
- Through meaningful involvement from experts by experience to ensure women’s voices are heard, listened to and acted on by services and decision makers
What are the aims of the group?
- Influence providers and commissioners
- Improve women’s emergency accommodation (and women’s experience of this)
- Influence a more joined up and gendered approach to staff training and workplace practices
- Improve service information available for women and access for women
Why and how was the group established?
The group was established in late 2018, after a launch event. Street Support and Manchester Homelessness Partnership (MHP) set-up the group, because they felt that there was a need for something for women. The launch event held last in 2018 brought together about 100 women, this was coordinated by Street Support and co-facilitated by them and Eve Holt. From this the women said that they wanted a women’s homelessness action group and this was taken forward by MASH and Riverside for the first few meetings.
Read the latest news from this Action Group.
To get involved with this action group, please email: email@example.com:Get involved